Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Unusually Warm Weather

Crocuses in the yard
Breakfast on the deck
Time to do some planting!

It's lovely again! Days like today make it hard to believe that it's still too early to put plants outside. I think this is the 3rd 60º+ day we've had in a row! I had a weak moment and ordered Cafe Au Lait dahlias from Eden Brothers this morning. I have no idea where they will go! I have all of my indoor plants outside today for maximum sun. On the south side of the house I planted the 8 ranunculus bulbs and 20 freesia, rolling up the grass sod-style and replacing it after planting. The bloom time for the ranunculus is "Early-Mid Summer" and the freesias are "Late Spring" I'm curious to see whether these ranunculus bloom at the same time or later than the bunch I planted in the fall.

Garden update: On the south side of the house, the daffodils are the furthest along, none blooming yet but the beginnings of buds forming. Some of the crocuses in the yard are blooming, and the hyacinth look hearty sprouting up. There are other leaves poking up and I'm not sure if they are the tulips or lilies. The poppies are sprouting in little clumps that look like grass and I can't wait to see what happens there. In the front of the house, the irises in the pot on the front step are holding steady at about an inch tall. A couple of crocuses bloomed this week but I really think the rabbits are eating them because there are a ton of little nubs in crocus colors but nothing above ground level. There are patches of leaves that look like daffodil and patches of leaves that might be lilies. One ipheion is blooming (waiting for the other 49 to catch up), and the garlic seems to have continued growing all winter. No life from the lily of the valley I attempted to transplant last fall, and only a few of the anemones are sprouting. Should I move all the leaves? No growth yet from the 3 peonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment