Monday, September 30, 2019

Wiksten Haori in Linen and Double Gauze

Wiksten Haori Jacket in Linen

The Haori Jacket pattern from Wiksten has been on my to-make list for quite a while, and with all the incredible versions on Instagram floating around, I was super excited to try it in linen. My body measurements matched up with size Small for the pattern, but upon reading reviews I sized down to XS and am very glad I did! It is still quite roomy! I sewed the mid-length version.



For the outer fabric, I used Robert Kaufman's Brussels Washer Linen/Rayon blend in the color O.D. Green from Stonemountain and Daughter Fabrics. The lining fabric is Nani Iro double-gauze in the Fuccra print from Weave and Woven on Etsy. Both have a nice, soft drape.


It's reversible! I think I will end up wearing the green side out more often because it's a little more youthful (Nate says I look like an art teacher with the printed side out). The double gauze is softer than the linen/rayon blend.




The real reason I made a Haori jacket for myself is that I was planning to make one for a friend and needed to test the pattern first. The one for my friend is in a wax-printed cotton from Malawi and lined in Kaufman Brussels Washer Linen/Rayon in Bordeaux from fabric.com to match the outer bicycle wheels.


I love the bicycle fabric but it's quite a bit stiffer than the linen. I ran it through the wash with fabric softener a few times, and hope it will continue to soften over time.


The "art teacher" vibe is strong. Good thing it's going to an art teacher!


I was so excited to deliver it, I didn't stop to take nice photos! Whoops! This is clearly not the outfit I'd choose to wear this jacket with.



Haven't decided how I feel with the linen side out. It feels a little minister-y? Hooray for completing one more item on my make-nine list for 2019!

1 comment:

  1. As the leaves start to turn and the weather gets cooler, we start to think about Autumn fashion. One of our favorite trends for Autumn is the Shibori kimono haori jacket

    ReplyDelete