Thursday, May 16, 2019

Sewing Megan Nielsen's Virginia Leggings

Legging sewing pattern
Megan Nielsen's Virginia Legging pattern
Woop Woop! My first attempt at sewing my own activewear! I made the Virginia Legging from pattern designer Megan Nielsen. I've sewn Megan Nielsen patterns before and found that they run a little on the snug side (for me), so I erred on the side of my biggest measurements and was happy I did. I also followed the tutorial for a high waist from the Megan Nielsen blog.
fabric for sewing leggings
I bought this fabric from Nunez Fabrics in Miami.
When I was in Miami for the boat show, I went to Nuñez Fabrics. That place is like the Mecca of spandex. I got a bunch of awesome stuff, including this fabric for the leggings. The 410 gram weight is really nice and thick, it feels sturdy and is not see-through. It's the thickest of all the fabrics I bought (I was picturing bikinis for the others), and now I wish I had bought more in this weight!
Virginia Leggings front and back view
Here are front and back views of the Virginia leggings

Sewing leggings at home
I just can't get enough of this print!

Virginia Leggings and Hemlock Tee
I tried them out with my first attempt at a tee shirt, the Hemlock Tee by Grainline Studio

Grainline Studio Hemlock Tee
I still haven't figured out how to make a really smooth seam for the bottom band.

sewing activewear
"Doing absolutely nothing in my ACTIVEWEAR ACTIVEWEAR"
And, because this is my all-time favorite video about activewear, I have to share!

By total coincidence, a few days after I finished my leggings, my local yoga studio was having a black light yoga night. The leggings were perfect! And what do you at the end of black light yoga? A photo shoot, of course.
best leggings for black light

black light yoga

Megan Nielsen Legging Pattern



Love this pattern, I want to make 100 pairs! On the next pair I will try adding a gusset because the crotch makes me a little nervous when doing skandasana (side lunges) and prasarita padottanasana (wide-legged forward bend) in yoga.

1 comment:

  1. Those leggings look wonderful, if only I knew how to sew like that. But since I don’t know how to sew at all, so I’ll just stick to my usual beyond yoga leggings. But I do think that you should sell a few of your hand sewn leggings, I’m pretty sure many would love to buy them.

    ReplyDelete