Monday, March 26, 2012

Oops, turns out seedlings need water.

This weather is nuts. Most days this past week were sunny and mid 60's to low 70's! Tonight it's supposed to go down to the 20's! In the ground, my hyacinths are blooming and smelling amazing and the daffodils look ready to go - some others around town are blooming. Occasional crocuses survive but I think the rabbits are too quick for me. My potted peas and spinach are poking their heads up through the dirt.


Under the grow lights, my neglect this week led to disaster. The whole top shelf dried up and died - the Red Popper Peppers, Baby's Breath, Lettuce, Snapdragon, Onions, Echinacea... nada. Luckily the lower shelves seem okay - Tangerine Dream Peppers, Tomatoes, Zinnias, Lettuce, Sage and Basil. Today I started seeds for: Rosemary, Strawflower, Henry Eckford Sweet Pea, Heatwave Lettuce, Heshiko Scallions/Bunching Onions, Sweet Basil, Cut and Come Again Zinnia, Nasturtiums, Luffa, Cosmos and Lavender.

At my house the air plants I got at the Boston Flower Show are fab. One bloomed in purple and another has a little pink thing emerging! They are living in a basket in the bathroom. The 3 Stop+Shop dahlias are sprouting in their pots, but the one from last year is not - it might have gotten too frozen. I can't wait for the last of the tubers to arrive from Eden Brothers! The seed starting mix and sphagnum moss Dad got at Lowe's (in bulk) seems much coarser than what I've been using. Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment