Saturday, June 2, 2012

Rain, Rain, Roses

The weather has returned to normal rainy spring. I'm having mixed success giving away pepper and tomato plants. The pole beans and squash are sprouting nicely. The violas are going nuts! A few phlox and zinnias are blooming but nothing major jet. This week I put 6 of the tomato plants in hanging baskets (2/basket). The stems were getting black dots at the bottoms so I brought one to the Rose Shack and the nice woman said that was the start of new roots so all I needed to do put the whole stem except for the very top under the soil. While at the Rose Shack I broke down and bought a $28 rose bush "Easy Does It" - peachy in color and so beautiful! Sandy who helped me said the bloom time is shorter than the Knock Outs but the color is so lovely I don't mind. She said that when in doubt, water them more. She also said to watch for Japanese Beetles and to cut it down to about 4" about the soil line in the spring. Did you know roses can stay out all winter? That will solve a lot of my storage problems!

Since I'm an idiot, I stopped next at Highland Farm. They have David Austin roses! The yellow ones ($34) are at the top of my wish list. But I have nowhere to put them! What am I thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment