Thursday, June 7, 2012

Molineux

I am in garden heaven. The "Easy Does It" roses are just about the most amazing combination of coral and pink I've ever seen. Yesterday I moved a bunch of things to the south steps (including the not-so-cute black plastic window box) so they will get maximum sun free up a lot of space. It also means I now have somewhere to put the yellow David Austin rose I haven't stopped thinking about. Paycheck in hand I set out into a torrential downpour. At Job Lot I found 2 terracotta colored window boxes (plastic) and arms to hold them over the edge of the railing. I also got one more hanging basket and a knee pad. At Benny's I got some potting soil but still couldn't find a big planter for  rose (Job Lot only had terracotta and they were not very cute). At Highland Farm I walked around and picked out the "Molineux" rose with the highest number of buds (23). The man at the counter was super nice and told me about caring for the rose. He said to inspect the new leaves for tiny aphids and spray them with "Eight" pesticide if I find any. Then he gave me a huge terracotta planter! It was in the clearance area and has a few chips but free is free! I think it pays to be the only customer on a rainy day.

Other adventures yesterday included watering everything with Miracle Grow (should have checked the forecast about that rain) and transplanting the peach rose to the big pot I used for last year's hibiscus. I ran out of potting soil and supplemented with dirt from the ground but it does not look light or fluffy so I may need to try mixing in more potting soil.

Today I'm planting yellow "Tumbling Tom" tomato seeds in the new hanging basket. What I should have done is filed it half full with dirt, planted the seeds, and then filled in the rest of the dirt when the plants are a few inches tall. Alas, I will have to remember that next year as I didn't think of it until after burying the 5 minuscule seeds in a full basket of soil. Oops.

Today the freesias are blooming on the south side of the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment