Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Planning

It is taking all of my willpower not to jump the gun on spring planting. Clearly my willpower is not very strong because I am quickly running out of space under the grow lights, but I have yet to make the jump to filling the pots on my porch. I came close to planting the spinach today but tonight's forecasted snow storm has scared me off, for now. Every night I've been reading a little more of Crockett's Victory Garden by James Underwood Crockett. It's the gardening guide that my dad swears by, and I can see why. The book is based on gardening in the Boston area (it's actually the companion to an old PBS gardening show) so the climate is just about right for my uses. Also, the book is broken down by month, so each month you're told what should be planted, transplanted or harvested, and also some side projects with detailed how-to information. This guy is great! Clear, easy to read and straightforward, I am starting to think of James Crockett as an old friend who guides me through my gardening year.
Today in my excitement I got out all of my planting containers and set them up on the deck. It made for a good "dry run" to see how they will fit together, and it is pretty clear that I don't need to buy any more pots for now - I should devote that money to potting soil instead. The next project is to use the pictures from today to plan new homes for the tomatoes, peppers and lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment